Tuesdays, January 17, 24, 31, February 7, 14, 21, 2023
Afternoon Session: 1:00-2:30PM
Organ System Balance as We Age: A Holistic Approach (Afternoon Course)
In our 6-session afternoon course, following the morning practice sessions, we will go deeper into a range of topics related to organ system balance, specifically as we age. The course will begin with a close examination of the Stomach organ system, from an oriental medicine view, followed by both theoretical and experiential lessons on how to strengthen the organ’s meridian – or energy line – in the body. Participants will also receive an introduction to Qi Massage, a technique which uses a comprehensive understanding of acupressure points and meridian alignment to promote overall wellness. Toward the end of the course, we will explore the cycles of the body’s growth and aging process, from the perspectives of Chinese and Thai Medicine. Finally, the last lesson will wrap up with a holistic discussion on how factors in our diet such as the taste, texture, and even temperature of our food can support our digestion and overall health.
Beginners to Qigong and Oriental medicine, as well as practitioners of all levels, are welcome.
Some lessons will include seated movement and breathing exercises intended to support our understanding of the day’s topic. These lessons are marked with an * below.
Afternoon Course Topics:
Building a Solid Foundation: Our Stomach & the Earth Element
Tuesday, January 17th
- Learn about the stomach’s relation to the Earth element, in both Thai and Chinese Medicine, and how this knowledge can empower us to better understand our own digestive system in a simple, yet logical way.
- Understand the root cause of common digestive system conditions, according to Element theory, and how to balance them by changing our habits in areas such as physical motion, diet, and daily routine.
- Simple tips to self-diagnose our stomach system, in order to practice proactive preventative care.
What’s in a Meridian?*
- A brief introduction to meridian theory: what are “meridians,” in Chinese Medicine, what do they have to do with the health of our internal organ systems, and how do we balance them for optimal health?
- Learn about the Stomach Meridian, where it is in the body, what conditions we can treat by balancing this meridian, and why it is so essential for good health.
- The Thai Medicine approach: introduction to “Sen lines,” Thai Medicine’s meridian system, and how this knowledge can support a strong digestion system.
Qi Massage: Balancing from the Lower Body*
- Introduction to the basic alignment of our legs and feet, in relation to meridian theory, which supports optimal functioning of our internal organs.
- Receive and experience Qi Massage from TQH qualified instructors while seated on a chair. The massage sequence, given on the lower legs and feet, is effective in enhancing in overall wellness.
- Learn about some of the specific conditions that Qi Massage on the lower body can treat, such as edema, constipation, and even toothache — and why.
Qi Massage: Balancing from the Upper Body*
- Introduction to acupressure points on the hands and arms, in relation to meridian theory, that can be accessed for self-massage.
- Receive and experience Qi Massage from TQH qualified instructors while seated on a chair. The massage sequence, given on the hands and arms, is effective in releasing stagnant Qi in the upper body.
- Learn about some of the specific conditions that Qi Massage on the upper body can treat, such as nausea, anxiety, and even bell’s palsy — and why.
The Natural Aging Process in Oriental Medicine
- Learn about Chinese Medicine’s 7- and 8-year life cycles, which differ for women and men, respectively, and within which our lifetime growing and aging process unfolds.
- Gain a new perspective on menopause time from a holistic view — including how this major change occurs not only in women, but men, too.
- Explore Thai Medicine’s Element theory, in which the composition of our body’s elements – Fire, Water, Earth, and Wind – changes at certain definitive
stages in our lifetime. We will learn how to use this knowledge to skillfully balance our body’s elements as we get older, in order to maintain good health.
Eating our Way to a Happy, Healthy Gut
- Draw from the wisdom of Thai Medicine to learn how certain tastes affect our digestive health, and how to apply this knowledge to practice empowered
preventative care specifically for digestion system conditions.
- Understand how factors such as temperature, texture, hardness, and softness of our food affect our digestion system, from an oriental medicine view.
- Learn which foods specifically help us recover from sickness at home or following a hospital visit.
- Gain knowledge and confidence that the foods which keep us healthy and balanced as we age don’t need to be boring!
Download Flyer here: